View the Allocations Policy
Am I eligible to apply to be on the housing register?
The criteria for eligibility for the Housing Register (homeseekers) is;
1. You have to have a local connection to the Borough
2. You do not have a single or combined income exceeding Â£60,000 per year which includes savings & employment income
3. You do not have savings/assets exceeding Â£16,000
4. You must be in housing need, for example you are currently in accommodation that you do not have a legal entitlement to reside in. If you hold a secure or assured tenancy with another Local Authority or Housing Association which is suitable for your needs then you will not be eligible to join the Housing Register.
We give additional priority to those:
- Who are in employment or in employment related training
- Who are unable to work due to a disability or illness who are in receipt of a disability related benefit or grant
- Tenants who need to downsize to smaller accommodation due to medical support or financial needs
- Increased medical priority for those where their current accommodation is being affected by their health which is confirmed by the Council's Independent Medical Ad visor
Do I have a local connection?
If any of the below apply to you then we will consider you to have a local connection;
1. You currently live in the Borough and have done so for the last 6 out of 12 months
2. You do not currently live in the Borough but you have previously lived here through your own choice for 3 out of the last 5 years
3. You do not currently live in the Borough but have a strong family connection living in the Borough who has lived here for 5 years through their own choice. *(we consider close family members to be mother, father, brother, sister or adult children)
4. You are employed in the Borough and have done so for the last 2 years (Your employer must also be based in the Borough)
5. You have served in the HM forces or have been honourably discharged in the last 5 years
6. You are the bereaved spouse or civil partner of a member of the armed forces having to leave services family accommodation following their death
7. You are a serving or former member of the reserve forces who needs to move because of serious injury, medical condition or disability sustained as a result of your service
8. You have been accepted as part of a witness protection recommendation by the police
(Please note: You will need to provide evidence of financial circumstances and local connection)
None of these apply to me: can I still apply for the housing register?
No, you will not be eligible for the Housing Register.
I have an annual income of Â£60,000 or more per year, can I apply for the housing register?
No, to be eligible you must have an income of less than Â£60,000 per year. We will also take into consideration any savings/assets when assessing your income.
I have savings or assets exceeding Â£16,000, can I apply for the housing register?
No, if you have savings/investments etc of Â£16,000 or more then you wouldn't be eligible for the housing register.
Will I need to provide documentary evidence again to confirm my circumstances?
Yes, you will be required to provide evidence to support your application. We would advise where possible you email your documents to email@example.com at the time you apply on-line to ensure there are no delays in assessing your application. Remember to attach your document checklist and quote your on-line reference number and housing application reference when sending any documents.
I cannot send documents by email; can I send them by post?
Yes, but to ensure no unnecessary delays to your application, please send within 7 days of completing your application. Remember to send your document checklist and quote your on-line reference number and housing application reference when sending any documents by post. You can post your documents to: Housing Options Team, Housing Needs Section, Brentwood Borough Council, Town Hall, Ingrave Road, Brentwood, Essex CM15 8AY.